Fun Cat Trivia
- A group of kittens is called a kindle; a group of cats is called a clowder. A female cat is called a queen, a male cat is a tom. The act of giving birth in a cat is called queening.
- Just as a person has a dominant hand, a cat usually uses one front paw more than the other. This has been associated with gender in both people and felines. Most female cats are right pawed, and most males are left pawed. The percentages are different for people, but the trend is the same. Only about 10% of humans are left-handed, but most of them are male.
- The cat ‘s weakest sense is taste. People have about 10,000 taste buds on their tongue, but cats have less than 500.
- A cat’s fur is sensitive to air movement, with the whiskers being the most perceptive to the cat’s environment. A blind cat will move its head side to side in order to use the whiskers as a blind person uses a cane.
- The first known cat to be given a name, Bouhaki, appears in Egyptian drawings as early as 1950 B.C.
- In the 5th century B.C., as Persian soldiers attacked an Egyptian city, the soldiers carried live cats. The Egyptians chose to surrender rather than risk the lives of the beloved felines.
- The Egyptian Mau, a short -haired spotted cat, is one of the oldest cat breeds. The word “Mau” was the ancient Egyptian word for cat, and also meant “to see” or “ to foretell”.
Cats are one of the most popular pets, as evidenced by the many YouTube videos! If you do not have a cat, maybe it’s time to consider adopting one from a local shelter!
Source: Gagne, Tammy. “Amazing Cat Facts and Trivia.” Chartwell Books 2011